Παρασκευή 4 Μαρτίου 2011

Help Me

Most self-help books don't really help people, that was, basically, how the article I read this morning began.  Without reading any further and pursuing my less than favorite past-time, ironing, I kept thinking about whether self-help books actually work or not.  In my mind, the fact that someone would purchase or borrow a self-help book shows that they have some sort of issues that they want to work out.  So, that's step one!  It's basically the same step as going to see a psychologist or therapist, though quite a bit cheaper.  The effort to, in some way, sort through whatever issues may be burdening them had begun.

Like so many others, I've read my fair share of books of this genre and, while working my way slowly through what seemed an endless pile of unironed clothes, I asked myself if any of these books had changed my life.  Obviously, since I'm ironing my own clothes, I haven't become an uber financial success.  Nor have I succeeded in understanding what it takes for a relationship to reach that idyllic bliss we all long for.  My life didn't even change in seven days!  But were self-help books designed any more for 100% success than going to see a therapist?

So, as I pondered this question (and struggled with a cotton blouse with too many buttons and seams) I came to the anticlimatic conclusion, that no, whatever the authors or therapists intentions are the only person that can really help us is ourselves.  The success of anything we do is determined by, well, determination, hard work and a whole lot of luck. Why then, does the public partake in these books?  In my humble estimation it's because we feel a part of a group.  Reading a self-help book makes me realize that I'm not the only one that is going over some speed bumps on the highway of life.  I'm NOT the only one who hasn't figured it all out (by the way, to actually figure it all out you should be reading "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy").

As my Dad always says, "Misery loves company" and that is, I think, what makes the "self-help" industry a multi-million dollar business.  Do you really need someone to tell you to be positive?  To eat healthier to lose weight?  To stop blaming others for your poor choices? To start loving yourself?  Of course not, but sometimes it's nice to know that you're not the only one struggling to make sense of it all.  Unplugging the iron and feeling slightly triumphant I realized that, yes, life is good.  And it sure as hell beats out the only other option!

As always, sunshine and daisies!














Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου